Wednesday, June 19, 2013

DIY Painted Doormat

For the past few months I have been hunting for the perfect rug for the front door/entry way.  I have searched high and low, and I cant seem to find anything that jumps out at me.  So I decided to take it upon my self and create my own. 

I started searching pinterest for tips on how to paint a rug.  It seemed strange to me that you can paint a rug, so I thought why not give it a try.  I looked around at different designs that I liked and wanted to try, bought a cheap rug, grabbed some frog tape and paint and then gave it a whirl.



First you can see I just began taping the rug up in the pattern I chose. I continued to tape it up until the entire rug was covered. I then used a sharp knife to make clean lines with the tape.

 
 
 
(I started doing this outside, because it was so nice out, but I kept getting bit by mosquitoes so I moved the party inside.)
 
 
 
 
 
After it was all taped up I got the paint read to go, and started sponging it on with a foam brush.
 
 
 
 
I ended up doing 2 coats of paint, probably should have done more but I ran out of paint because I just used what I had on hand. 
 
 
Once I was done painting I removed the tape and examined my finished product
 
 
 
 
It came out okay, I'm not a huge fan of it.  I think it might be the type of rug I bought, it should be more of a flat woven rug, but it will work for now. 
 
 
 
 
 
What do you think?  Anyone else try painting a rug?
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment. I would love to hear what you think, and what you want to see more of on here!!!